Coffee and Chocolate Cake
This recipe had two of my favorite things in it…..chocolate and coffee. So, it was destined to be great…..right? The cake tasted great but ended up very dense and moist. Its texture reminded me much more of a brownie then a cake. I suspect it has something to do with the amount of xanthum gum I used. I plan to try it again.
We are affectionately calling this cake, Brownie Cake in our house.
Here’s the recipe:
- • 3 cups of all purpose gluten-free flour + 1 1/2 tsp xanthum gum
- • 2 cup of granulated sugar
- • 1 cup of cocoa powder
- • 2 tsp baking soda
- • 1 tsp baking powder
- • 1 tsp salt
- • 1 ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- • 2 tbsp vinegar (white or cider)
- • 1/2 cup of unsweetened applesauce
- • 1 cup of DF milk
- • 1 cup of warm coffee
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease 9 inch cake pan
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all of the dry ingredients (flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, salt). Mix well.
- In a separate bowl combine the wet ingredients (vanilla, vinegar, applesauce, DF milk, and warm coffee) and whisk.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until all of the ingredients are combined. Do not over mix.
- Pour into the pan.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes, until an inserted toothpick in the center comes out clean.
- Frost with your favorite allergy free frosting.
- If making cupcakes bake for 18 to 20 minutes.
- 9 inch cake pan bake for 35-40 minutes.
(Adapted from: Allergy Cooking Baby website)
Once I’ve adjusted it and made it so its more cake-like and less brownie-like I’ll post what I did differently. I made the cake with coconut flour, I’m not sure if this played into the denseness of the cake.